12 September 2023
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM CDT
Ever wander how the court system works and how the courts work for you? This presentation will focus on the various court systems in our community and how they are available to handle cases and disputes citizens face. Real world and hypothetical examples will be discussed frequently to make the topics easier to understand, and time will be available for questions and answers, both during the discussion and after. The following topics will be discussed:
- An overview of the law – understanding the concept of “rights” and “obligations”
- The types of courts in Houston (civil courts, criminal courts, probate courts, family courts, and others)
- Civil cases as compared to criminal cases
- The layers of courts within each category (small claims, district courts, etc.)
- The federal court system compared to the state court system
- How cases are filed and how they are defended
- The attorney’s role and available resources
- The judge’s role compared to the jury’s role
- The types of evidence used in courts
*Attorneys can now earn CLE credited hours for State Bar of Texas sponsored by the Houston Bar Association for attending this AMOS workshop.
Complete the How to Navigate the Harris County Court System.